Monday, October 18, 2010

Cyclocross Weekend

Raced at Capital Cup in Topeka on Saturday, it was hot, 85 at the start. Nice venue and nice people putting it on and hills led to a great time. Only 5 showed up for the open race and B. Stover took the wholeshot with the rest of us in tow. After a couple laps it was Britton K. and myself left at the front. Halfway through he put down a nice effort and I couldn't match it. I thought I'd catch him later but that didn't happen, second place and a cramping back was the result. Sunday was the Boulevard Cup a little bigger Open field with 22 or so at the start. My wife Katie came out to watch and give me some much needed motivation. The race started and my holeshot was good except it was longer than I realized and by the time we hit the dirt I was almost at the back. The first lap I was riding with a little too much urgency, made up some spots then wiped out on a bunch of acorns in a tight turn, back to where I was when we hit the dirt, about 15-16. I rode a little smarter and started picking people off. In the last couple laps I caught the 9th place rider Nick C. and we battled for a bit, I was beat and he was too strong and rode away from me the last lap. So 10th place in the biggest Open field I have ever raced in, I am happy. This time last year I would have gotten lapped. Good job Boulevard, great beer and a nice race course. Here's a pic on the first lap, pre-wreck.

1 comment:

  1. hey justin its sarah....katie sent me this link..really enjoyed reading all your posts..had no idea you went to colorado and did nationals this summer :) good work buddy keep it up!

    ReplyDelete