Monday, October 25, 2010

Smithville CX



Sunday was the Smithville CX race, Katie came with me and we brought the dogs. Perfect weather, about 65 and slightly cloudy and a great technical course make for some awesome racing. I thought I was racing in the 2/3 catergory race but found out I was in the Open race. The bad part is I didnt realize this till after the Open class started racing, so I started 10 seconds back with the 2/3's. I put the hammer down and started racing hard, better late than never. By the 2nd or 3rd lap I had caught up to the open field and had started passing people. With 5 laps to go I had passed half the open field and caught up to 9th place, one spot out of the money! Katie was giving me updates as I rode by the money tree (literally a tree with dollar bills clothes-pinned onto it of which I grabbed 5 from) and I was determined to make up for my mistake at the start. I passed some more people and with 2 laps to go I had 6th place in my sights. I caught 6th place with about 100 yards to go, passed him on the hill run up and sprinted for the finish. Finally I won a sprint, usually I get owned in finish sprints. I was happy with the result and can feel my CX legs and lungs coming around. (Pic courtesy of Jon Peck)

No comments:

Post a Comment