Monday, November 8, 2010

Joules Cross

I took last weekend off to party for Halloween and get in some good training. This weekend came around and Lawrence, KS Joules Cross was the place to be. The Open race had 18-20 starters, big fields and a bunch of roadies made me ready to take a beating. The course was cool, but very roadie friendly, basically a mowed path in a field with a couple turns and barriers. Extremely roadie friendly, oh well I can only try to keep up. I had good motivation, most my family was there as well as my little nephew to watch his first bike race, but all the motivation in the world couldn't help my cramps. Warming up I felt good but I had a bad start again, the 200 yard sprint to start didn't help. I went into the first turn 3rd from last and started the crawl back towards the front. After the first lap I had passed a couple people and was back to about 13th. Another couple laps down and I'm up to 10th with 9th and 8th in my sights. I got past both to 9th place Nick with 4 laps to go, then boom, my calves started cramping up on the dirt run-up. I started going slower and NIck caught back up to me with 3 to go and I was able to keep on his wheel till the last lap where again on the run-up, which we were riding, my calves cramped up again and I had to dismount. Nick made a get away and all I could do was watch him ride away. I finished in 9th place, not bad for a roadie course. Got some leftover Chipotle and a beer from the race promoters then headed into Lawrence for some more food and beers with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment